Wednesday, January 13, 2010

It's about time I start this thing!

I created this blog about six months ago, and completely forgot about it until my friend Jessica started one to document her after-college, in the real world, big girl life. After a little boost from my pal, I've decided to start this thing. I'll start off by saying that I don't pretend to have an extreme lifestyle full of exciting events. I spend most days balancing financial statements and most nights chasing two year olds around so I can wipe their noses. That said, ordinary things to most are probably extraordinary to me. Most blogs will probably be about stuff that happens at dance or stupid things my husband and I get ourselves into. Feel free to stop reading now.




So, for my first blog... Hmmmm...



Every year, our dance competition team takes on the task of performing a production of about 40 kids. It usually requires numerous props to pull it off. We will start with our first.



Our first year, we did a Pirate production. My dad and many of the other dads constructed a pirate ship from plywood complete with a PVC pipe flag and steps made from 2x4's.










Because our business was just starting out, we didn't have the money to rent a uhaul let alone buy a covered trailer of our own. We carted that ship around on a 16ft trailer with bungie cords and bright blue tarps to protect it. But, it was a DANG good looking ship, and we won many awards with that piece.





Last year, we did a piece titled "Rockin Thru the Decades." We started with music from the 40's and ended with "Sexy Back" by Justin Timberlake. It was fitting for the time. Ha! For this prop, my dad took the existing pieces from the pirate production and constructed a 5'5ft tall Jukebox along with two LIGHTED platforms.

















Yes, those are babies in Afro wigs.... I always try to add a humorous aspect to the productions because I feel like productions are meant to entertain the audience and the judges. Wait until you see this year's production!! (No pictures until after competition season, sorry)



So, this year we are daunted the wonderful task of constructing a life-like airplane complete with wings and a propeller. My dad is so excited about it. He hasn't been able to sleep for the past week because he is so excited about starting the project this weekend. (Did I mention that I was a really sarcastic person?) I know it will turn out wonderfully!! It's the "in between" events that will require a lot of prayer. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment